- Total Time: ~3.5 hours
- Yields: 1 strudel
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ⅓ cup of honey
- 3 ½ fluid oz. water, lukewarm pinch of salt
- 1 ¼ pound tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 7 tablespoons melted butter
- 7 tablespoons breadcrumbs or cookie crumbs
- 3 ½ tablespoons light brown sugar
- Optional: Raisins, cinnamon, chopped nuts, lemon juice, rum
- Mix flour, salt, oil and lukewarm water and knead together with the kneading hook on the mixer for approximately 10 minutes until dough has become smooth and elastic.
- Roll the dough into a ball and brush with melted butter. Using a sharp knife, cut a cross at the top of the ball of dough and then leave to rest at room temperature for 2 hours, wrapped in plastic wrap.
- Brown crumbs gently in melted butter. Combine with apples, and add brown sugar and choice of additional ingredients. Set aside.
- Sprinkle a table cloth evenly with flour. Roll the dough out as thinly as possible on the cloth. Place your hands stretched out flat under the dough and draw the dough over the back of your hand so that it becomes thinner and thinner. You know the dough is ready when the pattern on the cloth is recognizable through the dough, or when you can read newsprint through it.
- At one end of strudel dough, place filling ingredients about 4 inches from the end. Roll the dough lifting the cloth so that the filled dough begins to roll over on itself. Continue rolling to the end of the dough. Brush top of dough with melted butter, slide carefully onto a baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown.
- Love at First Bite!